- Discover two great UNESCO places with one day trip
- Explore the Rila Monastery, the biggest monastery in Bulgaria
- Visit the Boyana Church and see its unique medieval frescoes
- Enjoy a day in the mountains
With this day trip, you will be able to visit Rila Monastery and Boyana church- UNESCO World Heritage sites. Learn their old history and legends as your guide's commentary takes you back into time.
The tour departs at 9.00 in the morning from Alexander Nevsky square, behind the cathedral, and the first stop is at the great UNESCO historical place – Boyana church, dating back to the 11th century, which has unique and very well preserved frescoes and pictures from the period of the 13th century. You will be able to learn about their meaning and significance and see how expressive they are.
After exploring it, you will head to the Rila Monastery- the biggest and most important monastery in Bulgaria. It was established back in the 10th century. The current buildings are from the mid 19th century, with a defensive tower that survived from the 14th century.
In the monastery complex, you will admire the impressive architecture and frescoes, while the guide tells you its story.
During the guided tour in the inner yard and the monastery museum, you will discover the most precious pieces that are kept from the past and all the facts and stories about the most remarkable Bulgarian monastery complex. You will also have the chance to see an authentic monk room as well!
Audioguides in the following languages are available for the monastery and the church: Spanish, Italian, German, French and Russian. They cost 5 euro more per device and should be ordered before the tour!
April- October: 30 euro per person
November- March: 35 euro per person
- Booking in advance and confirmation is required!
- Departure time: 9 am (you should be there 15 minutes before that)- search for the City Tour minivan
- Meeting point: behind Alexander Nevsky Cathedral- near Café La Cathedrale
- Return point: returns to the original location
- People should have their knees and shoulders covered in order to enter the monastery!
- Bring cash with you (preferably local currency) – the shops and the restaurants in the area of the monastery accept only cash payments so it is important to have some money with you.
- The Boyana church is closed on the 1st of January, on the Sunday of the Orthodox Easter, on the 24th of December, 25th of December and the 31st of December - and on such days the tour is done only to the Rila Monastery.
- Day trip duration: 8 hours
- Reference code: CT20
|1||€ 70.00||€ 70.00|
|2||€ 35.00||€ 70.00|
|3||€ 35.00||€ 105.00|
|4||€ 35.00||€ 140.00|
|5||€ 35.00||€ 175.00|
|6||€ 35.00||€ 210.00|
|7||€ 35.00||€ 245.00|
|8||€ 35.00||€ 280.00|